[UA-EAI] POP/IMAP software that's EAI Ready

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Tue Feb 20 18:24:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> Since I am using the gmail webmail client, I am surprised at this design, though.

The bit with more capabilities after you log in isn't gmail, it's in the
RFCs.

The short reason is that there's no such thing as EAI login to IMAP,
because IMAP has always had ways to use 8-bit usernames and passwords, so
don't confuse the issue by telling clients about EAI capabilities before
they can use them.

R's,
John

> ________________________________
> From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no>
> Subject: Re: [UA-EAI] POP/IMAP software that's EAI Ready
>
> Mark Svancarek via UA-EAI writes:
>> I have also tried using gmail IMAP a few times with my xgenplus
>> addresses, and couldn't get it to work with an EAI address.
>> What is the "after authentication" process I should be using?
>
> You as user cannot do that.
>
> After authentication, the IMAP server declares which extensions it
> supports. The IMAP client may then use those, or declare that the IMAP
> server should start using some. Your IMAP client should issue that
> declaration ("… ENABLE … UTF8=ACCEPT …").
>
> If your client doesn't declare that, and this isn't something users can
> affect, then the IMAP server doesn't have permission to send the client EAI
> addresses (they would be syntax errors) in messages, and will instead carry
> out some downgrade process.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at standcore.com
Standcore LLC