[UA-EAI] UASG014 - Quick Guide to EAI

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jan 16 14:53:44 UTC 2018

> I can put that stronger: I've either worked on or read the source of seven
> programs/libraries that will send EAI mail, and I don't think any of the
> seven would be able to fall back to an alternative address.

That sort of fallback mostly makes sense in a webmail system where the MTA
and MSA and address book are sufficiently integrated.

To do it in postfix or exim you'd need to add an MTA-side address book of
aliases which is rather unlike anything they do now.  I use qmail which
can easily tell whether addresses A and B deliver to the same place, but
cannot tell you the other addresses that deliver the same as A, which is
what you need here.

Regards,