[UA-EAI] UASG014 - Quick Guide to EAI

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Wed Jan 17 05:44:41 UTC 2018

Arnt, John:

Thanks for these comments.

When a set of mail applications are bundled under a single umbrella, then the operator can do more - and the Transformation using an existing Alias is possible.

But, if a mail user is using discrete components, then can you reasonably expect them to interact as we suggest transformation?

Are we back to square 1' - having eliminated an algorithmic transformation of a non-ascii mailbox name?

On 17/01/18, 3:54 AM, "UA-EAI on behalf of John R. Levine" <ua-eai-bounces at icann.org on behalf of johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

    > I can put that stronger: I've either worked on or read the source of seven
    > programs/libraries that will send EAI mail, and I don't think any of the
    > seven would be able to fall back to an alternative address.

    That sort of fallback mostly makes sense in a webmail system where the MTA
    and MSA and address book are sufficiently integrated.

    To do it in postfix or exim you'd need to add an MTA-side address book of
    aliases which is rather unlike anything they do now.  I use qmail which
    can easily tell whether addresses A and B deliver to the same place, but
    cannot tell you the other addresses that deliver the same as A, which is
    what you need here.

    Regards,
    Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jl.ly&d=DwICAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=YI0XKyKCabKQi3GVWLvuoyCWjH9WBgEBxLbMnmhSRwo&m=mdwATPV3XJqYUnOs_K0j14lqOghQB1dXAUiXG7qEbIw&s=pFYnLqRXLm2amKLr_3uLFLJgr_hQTH2ZrbNKzbCNNCs&e=