[UA-EAI] Using search engine translators on unfamiliar email addresses

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Mon Jun 29 06:17:13 UTC 2020

My ultimate question is, other than using aliases, what is our
recommendation as a group to people implementing/using these different
scripts who for whatever reason want to send emails from an address with
Han characters to ASCII counterparts? That their "From" field reads
something like "马克 (Mark)" with an ASCII transliteration?

Regards,

On 06/25/2020 20:47, Asmus Freytag (c) wrote:
> On 6/25/2020 4:02 PM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>> On 26/06/2020 04:42, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>>
>>> What might make sense would be to translate not the protocol e-mail
>>> name, but the "friendly" name (and / or to provide a translation of
>>> the username as a "friendly" name). That's a user agent type issue -
>>> while users could manually do that, it's cumbersome; I've been on
>>> some lists, where such a service would have made it easier to know
>>> who was taking part in the conversation instead of "<unreadable>
>>> wrote:"
>>
>> I guess that would be transliteration/transcription.
>
> More that, presumably.
>
> The usual translation sites tend to automatically off that in parallel
> to translations for non-Latin scripts.
>
>> You wouldn't want your family name to be translated into
>> Friday/Vendredi/Venerdi/金曜日/...
>
> Haven't found a way to keep people from trying.
>
> A./
>

>> Regards,   Martin.

Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]
In partnership with AR-TARC and the Brazilian Association of Software Companies (ABES)