[UA-EAI] Using search engine translators on unfamiliar email addresses

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Mon Jun 29 14:07:22 UTC 2020

In article <c7a2dc25-8dca-1ac9-6e10-a8e5a1cd5720 at governanceprimer.com> you write:

>My ultimate question is, other than using aliases, what is our
>recommendation as a group to people implementing/using these different
>scripts who for whatever reason want to send emails from an address with
>Han characters to ASCII counterparts?

"Don't do that."

If the recipient's system supports EAI, a Han address will work.  If it doesn't,
you need to use an ASCII address.

There's the separate issue of how to tell whether a system with an
ASCII address supports EAI. You can check whether its MTA offers
SMTPUTF8 but it's still possible that even so something behind the MTA
doesn't handle it.  I don't see any good solutions beyond heuristics like
if someone sent you EAI mail they can receive it, and anything hosted at
Gmail or Outlook.com can handle EAI.

R's,
John