[UA-EAI] Dovecot, IMAP mailbox/folder support

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Wed Mar 1 17:28:21 UTC 2023

It appears that Maria Kolesnikova via UA-EAI <masha at cctld.ru> said:
>My apologizes for some off topic request but probably anyone of you knows
>whether Dovecot is going to enhance their support of EAI? Or whether UASG
>has an plans to motivate them to do it?

I talked to the Dovecot people a while ago.  They would be willing to add
support for the new EAI features in RFCs 6855 and 6866 if someone paid
them, but they won't do it on their own.  It would require a lot of
work reorganizing the internal structure of Dovecot so it would be
quite expensive, I estimate on the order of $100,000.

But when I did EAI conformance tests on Dovecot, I found the same
things that Arnt did. Even though it doesn't have new UTF-8 support,
the legacy character sets are good enough and most of its internal
operations are 8-bit clean so that it passed most of the EAI tests
anyway. I do not think it would be a good use of time or money to add
6855 and 6866 support.

R's,
John