[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Follow up from IAG call

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sat Apr 18 17:18:30 UTC 2015

Good afternoon. Thankyou, James for your useful comments.

More generally, I am not very much taken with the idea that we should be editing the existing document, that is in principle unsustainable.

It is inappropriate to envisage a procedure whereby each and every Registrar in each and every EU Member State has to address this matter with ICANN, severally. No.

Allow me to refer, yet again, to the Articles of Incorporation of ICANN. Article 4:

4. The Corporation shall operate for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of international law and applicable international conventions and local law …

The purpose of that text is to ensure that ICANN will respect, proactively, local law of which a current example is EU privacy law.

 I hope that this is helpful

CW

PS:	In the Wiki, what is the purpose of the "Resolve" button on the comments? First time I touched it, James' comment disappeared, which I am sure is not the intention!