[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Follow up from IAG call

Raymond HO arbitrator at raymondho.com
Thu Apr 30 00:39:44 UTC 2015

Once again thanks a lot, Christopher, for sharing with us your view.

By publication of the ICANN WHOIS data (the registrant’s name, email and fax contacts) in the public domain and the prevention of any unauthorised use by 3rd party,  you might wish to consider

Article 17 of the EU Directive:

“Security of processing

1. Member States shall provide that the controller must implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access, in particular where the processing involves the transmission of data over a network, and against all other unlawful forms of processing.

Having regard to the state of the art and the cost of their implementation, such measures shall ensure a level of security appropriate to the risks represented by the processing and the nature of the data to be protected.

2. The Member States shall provide that the controller must, where processing is carried out on his behalf, choose a processor providing sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical security measures and organizational measures governing the processing to be carried out, and must ensure compliance with those measures.

3. The carrying out of processing by way of a processor must be governed by a contract or legal act binding the processor to the controller and stipulating in particular that:

- the processor shall act only on instructions from the controller,

- the obligations set out in paragraph 1, as defined by the law of the Member State in which the processor is established, shall also be incumbent on the processor.

4. For the purposes of keeping proof, the parts of the contract or the legal act relating to data protection and the requirements relating to the measures referred to in paragraph 1 shall be in writing or in another equivalent form.”

It follows that the condition of “proportionality” might come into play.

Kind regards,

Raymond