[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Draft report

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Thu Jul 9 18:36:54 UTC 2015

Hmmm …

1.	The "underlying policy" was adopted by GNSO ten years ago. It was already 'out of scope' at the time in the light of pre-existing privacy laws.

http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/whois-privacy/council-rpt-18jan06.htm

Incidentally, that document does not contain the six pages of trigger-mania that has regaled the IAG discussions. Where that came from is still not clear.

2.	The IAG mission, as interpreted by the staff, is so narrow as to ensure that many of us are just wasting our time. I suggested at an earlier stage that ICANN staff please write down on one page what are your essential requirements so that we could discuss that. Instead you have issued 15 pages that we cannot endorse.

3.	The EWG recommendations were published one year ago. Why are you wasting our time on IAG when you still propose (do you?) to initiate another procedure on EWG?

4.	I am not aware of having expressed any 'desire to restructure the GNSO'. That is a matter for ICANN.

Best regards

Christopher