[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] News from Brazil

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun May 10 02:34:01 UTC 2015

This is a great example of what we discussed at some length in the
Experts Working Group.  The question is, does a criminal actually put
accurate information in the WHOIS?  Can Godaddy actually check the
information provided, and still charge only 15$ US for two years
registration?  If greater accuracy is required, will fraudsters simply
steal someone else's accurate data?  What data is really useful for
prosecution, the WHOIS data or the registration data which the registrar
has?  Even the financial data held by Godaddy could be the financial
data from a stolen credit card, unless there is some control registrars
can use to stop that.
Stephanie Perrin