[WP1] Comment on various discussion of membership model

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Fri Apr 10 16:26:43 UTC 2015

Hi Mathieu, Thomas and Jordan

I have been following the great work of the CCWG from outside for some
time, but only recently joined as a participant.

I wonder if I may raise a concern, that I am not sure how best to insert
into the various working group and other lists.   I see in discussion
papers from the lawyers and in various comments on the lists, the
consideration of ICANN adopting a membership model.   Now I realise that
this is only one option and I support the approach of developing out
models for the community to consider.  I am sorry to be coming to this
issue later than others, and perhaps you will be able to parse my
concern to the right audience.

I wanted to raise my grave concerns about the potential unintended
consequences of a membership model for ICANN.   Having reviewed
non-profit legal structures throughout much of the world, I realise that
the membership model is common, particularly in parts of Europe.  But it
is not a universally accepted model.

For an international organisation serving a changing Internet community,
there is a big difference between a "participatory" model and a
"membership" model.   In 1997-99 we discussed these issues very
carefully, and settled on an open-ended participatory model to ensure
the best mix of "all can feel free to attend and participate" with an
incentive, similar to the IETF, to reward meritocratic participation.
This also had the very important benefit of not building anti-trust risk
by having participation limited only to a set of members who may at some
time show cartel like behaviour. And as the litigation with Verisign
from 2003-05 showed, anti-trust and other litigation can be a VERY
significant risk to ICANN (or any other entity with limited
resources).   It does not matter what jurisdiction, judges can bring
down harsh damages for anti-trust action.  Now throughout the Verisign
litigation, the courts regularly came down on the side of ICANN, and its
open participation model was an important factor in their evaluation of
ICANN's decisions.

Further, many may not recall, but the one time ICANN considered a form
of more 'class based membership' - the election for board members based
on anyone who had a domain name - we saw important differences.   While
some regions had voters only in the hundreds ( a reflection of the
activists who cared then), one region suddenly went through a very
different dynamic.   A candidate from one economy was getting tens of
thousands of votes, then suddenly a rival economy had a candidate who
attracted over 100,000 votes and then a third rival economy put forward
a candidate and was garnering tens of thousands of votes a day, before
the deadline cut this competition off.   Now, they were all excellent
candidates, but the point is that mere inter-country rivalry resulted in
very significant mobilisation of empowered voters who were not
necessarily motivated by the mission and values of ICANN - it appeared
more a form of nationalist competition.

I can foresee numerous scenarios where if ICANN were to move to a
membership model that such non-mission related incentives could end up
with large numbers of members being recruited.  Indeed, a membership
model may also put in place perverse incentives for contracted or other
affected parties (companies, associations, governments, ethnic
groupings) to mobilise large numbers of members. /Remember, members do
not have to be participants/. But by the fact of having membership they
get a more or equal say.    And clever players could game restrictions
within various SOs/ACs to build coalitions of members in each.

I have seen this sort of gaming occur in several large important
membership organisations.   Indeed, in one in Australia, a
roadside-assistance organization, the membership dynamics eventually
developed into two parties which were defacto proxies for the country's
main political parties - and the two sides spent years in the courts
trying to outdo each other.

I apologise if this issue has already been discussed fully by the CCWG
in meetings.   I just wanted to put into the mix concerns about
unintended consequences.

Best

Paul

--