[WP1] [CCWG-ACCT] Homework from WP1 call on Fri 30-Oct

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Nov 2 05:24:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 02-Nov-15 13:36, Greg Shatan wrote:
> The differences between the GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies
> are far deeper and more fundamental than the differences in geography
> that define the RALOs and RIRs.  (That's not to minimize the differing
> priorities that are driven by geography, but it's still far less
> significant than the differences between, e.g., a registry and a
> non-commercial stakeholder and an ISP.)

I disagree. The geographical distinction are far more fundamental that
the differences we have in the GNSO.

- In the GNSO we all have a single interest in ICANN participation -
gTLD policy.

- In the GNSO 3/4 of the Stakeholder groups are business groups. they
may have different and sometimes conflicting purposes, but most of the
SGs are business oriented and have their members' and clients'
profitability as their central concern. And as the quote goes, "the
business of business is business.

The difference between those living in the various cultures of the world
differ to a larger degree and are critical to the diversity that is
needed in a global organization.  It is perhaps a very Northern business
sort of orientation that sees business orientation as more significant
than the geopolitical and cultural perspective people bring to organization.

Now I still think that the community powers  only come into effect and
can only be exercised when we have community consensus and that part of
having community consensus is first having consensus within our ACs and
SOs.  I think that if we are counting votes or fractions of votes within
an SO or AC we cannot be said to have consensus.  Sure each SO and AC
can find its consensus it own way, including voting, but the ACs and
SOs, in my opinion should be representing consensus opinions in these
process.

So while I believe that geographical distinctions are as great if not
greater then commercial or non commercial interests, I do not think that
the community powers should exercised unless we have consensus of most
all, despite their orientation.

avri

---