[independent review] Comments for Sunday's meeting in Istanbul

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Fri Mar 20 19:25:53 UTC 2015

Hi Becky,

I have some comments/questions/suggestions for the discussion Sunday in case there is no remote participation option. Thanks to you and others who built the latest matrix. These comments below are in my personal capacity.

I think that existing review/redress mechanisms could be enhanced and made adequate for the future – and don’t presently see the need for a “constitutional court.”

Otherwise, here are my thoughts:

Ombudsman:

This office can address modest complaints, but might need more “heft.”

One way to bump up its standing in the community as well as its impact might be to let the Ombudsman file a formal written report on a complaint to which the board would have to file a written response accepting or rejecting the Ombudsman’s suggestion. The Ombudsman would not need to issue such a report in each case, and could summarily deal with issues as it deems appropriate. And the board’s action could be brief, but it would be visible action. This might be an acceptable “vent” for minor issues that gets enough consideration that the parties accept the outcome and the case is closed.

Reconsideration Request:

This mechanism should be able to address questions of substance as well as process, and it should serve as a threshold requirement before seeking IRP – the board should have an opportunity to revisit a decision before IRP is invoked.

Independent Review Panel:

Principal changes needed here, IMO, would be the power to bind ICANN to follow an IRP ruling, and the power to hear questions of substance as well as process. On substance, a standard will have to be found (consistency with Articles and bylaws? Consistency with Articles and bylaws as well as with Agreements ICANN has entered into? ).

Some issues Related to IRP:

1.      Composition of the panel: most discussions seem to focus on a standing panel of lawyers. That will be expensive and some (like me) may question why the panel should be composed entirely of lawyers. The community has many able academics, engineers, business people, members of civil society, etc. Maybe a hybrid of lawyers and community nominees would work. That might hold down costs and deepen the appreciation of context.

2.      Limitations:

a.      IMO, as ICANN becomes subject to substantive as well as procedural reviews in binding fashion, it should be protected from excesses that seem to crop up in many claims systems,  for instance its liability for money damages (e.g. refunding a TLD application fee in cases where a claimant succeeds in arguing that its TLD application was mishandled) should only be for direct, out of pocket amounts, not for indirect or consequential expenses, etc.;

b.      It seems sensible not to allow for attorney’s fees or other costs of engaging in IRP absent a finding by the IR panel that a claim or defense was frivolous, and then only to the extent of meeting such claims or defenses;

c.      Timeliness of a complaint – perhaps there should be a requirement that a claim must be submitted within 30 (60?) days of the finality of the required reconsideration process;

d.      Legality – ICANN could not be ordered to take an action that would be illegal where performed;

e.      Class actions – Art. IV, Section 3, para. 3, presently allows consolidated claims to be heard where the “causal connection” between the circumstances of the claims and the harm is the same. I suggest tightening up that language to “specific causal connection;”

f.      And there needs to be document disclosure (discovery) reform so that parties to IRP and the reconsideration process have reasonable opportunity to review materials possessed by the other side. This is a delicate area not least because (at least in the new gTLD application process) business competitors are at times involved. But there are well-trod ways to allow for discovery and at the same time protect proprietary information.

While there are other important issues in the matrix, these are the ones that strike me as at the top of the list.

Best wishes to all who are making their way to Istanbul.

David McAuley