[WP2] Mission, Commitments and Core Values REVISED for discussion tomorrow am

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:45:30 UTC 2015

I agree with Bruce that either "coordinates" or "facilitates"
usefully describe ICANN's role with respect to policy development.  I
think the important point is to make it clear that ICANN itself isn't
responsible for making that policy - the stakeholder community has
that responsibility; ICANN's job is to help them (coordinating or
facilitating) do that, and then to implement the policies that
emerge.  Either word, I think, makes this clear -
David

At 05:00 AM 7/13/2015, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>Hello All,
>

> >>  - if forced to choose between [support] and [coordinate] I
> would choose to say [support and coordinate].
>
>One thing is to consider is ICANN's role with respect to the various
>sets of identifiers:
>
>- for example for protocol parameters - it is really just operating
>a registry - it doesn't create or set the values for the protocol parameters
>
>- for IP addresses it really just coordinates allocation of address
>blocks to the regional internet registries.  It doesn't directly set policy etc
>
>- for ccTLDs - I think ICANN is mostly operating a registry via the
>IANA function - but there has been some coordination with respect to
>allocation of IDN-ccTLDs
>
>- for gTLDS - ICANN manages the policies recommended by the GNSO
>
>So in most cases I think "coordinates" is probably the right word -
>but it has a slightly stronger role with respect to gTLDs - perhaps
>"facilitates" policy development within the community.
>
>Regards,
>Bruce Tonkin

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com