[WP2] Mission, Commitments and Core Values REVISED for discussion tomorrow am

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Jul 13 09:00:33 UTC 2015

Hello All,

>>  - if forced to choose between [support] and [coordinate] I would choose to say [support and coordinate].

One thing is to consider is ICANN's role with respect to the various sets of identifiers:

- for example for protocol parameters - it is really just operating a registry - it doesn't create or set the values for the protocol parameters

- for IP addresses it really just coordinates allocation of address blocks to the regional internet registries.  It doesn't directly set policy etc

- for ccTLDs - I think ICANN is mostly operating a registry via the IANA function - but there has been some coordination with respect to allocation of IDN-ccTLDs

- for gTLDS - ICANN manages the policies recommended by the GNSO

So in most cases I think "coordinates" is probably the right word - but it has a slightly stronger role with respect to gTLDs - perhaps "facilitates" policy development within the community.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin