[WP2] revised Mission, Commitments, Core Values -

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Jul 20 22:50:59 UTC 2015

Hello Becky,

This seems like a reasonable approach.

One other area that I think would help the Board in evaluating the advice would be for the GAC to include some references to national laws and/or international treaties as the basis for the advice.

>From the bylaws:

"The Governmental Advisory Committee should consider and provide advice on the activities of ICANN as they relate to concerns of governments, particularly matters where there may be an interaction between ICANN's policies and various laws and international agreements or where they may affect public policy issues."

So perhaps we could add something under the bylaws with respect to GAC advice, that to the extent that it is possible the advice should include a rationale with references to relevant applicable national or international laws.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin