[WP2] this is the document we'll use for our discussion of the IRP

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Wed Jul 22 11:48:10 UTC 2015

I won’t be joining you, as I will be on a plane.  On intitial review, my
preliminary comment is with regard to the diversity requirement (which I
agree with completely).  My thought, however, is that there is a disconnect
– we state we want cultural, linguistic, gender, and legal tradition
diversity, but then the suggested implementation method is through enforced
geographic diversity by region.  To be sure, that MAY get us the cultural,
linguistic, gender and legal tradition, BUT it might very well not.
Lawyers from Britain and the US are geographically diverse but share a legal
tradition and a language.  Likewise, for lawyers from Spain vis-à-vis South
America.  If this is the diversity we desire we should assess the panel as a
group and make sure we get it directly, not with an imperfect proxy.  That
is much harder, to be sure
 but isn’t it the right way to go?

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig