[WP2] this is the document we'll use for our discussion of the IRP

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:09:38 UTC 2015

I continue to think that it is a bad idea to have
this body meet in panels of 3, rather than having
the full 7-member Review Board hear all
claims.  The institution needs the opportunity to
meet and deliberate together as a single body if
it is to develop the kind of institutional weight
that it should have (and probably has to have) if
it is to serve as an effective check on the
Board.  Splitting it up this way just dilutes its voice.

And I'm not clear what "Process for selection
from pre-vetted pool to respond to capacity
issues – all panels will be chaired by a member
of the standing panel " means, exactly.  Is this
a proposal to allow members of some "standby"
pool to hear claims if there are "capacity
issues" with the 7-member Review Board?  If so, I
think that's also not a very good idea, for many
of the same reasons as the above.  I don't think
it's a good idea to give the power to invalidate
Board action to some "standby" arbitrator, who
may (or may not) have ever dealt with a
DNS-related claim before, and who may never do so
again, but who is called into duty on a one-off
basis.  I think that setting it up this way
seriously detracts from the seriousness and importance of the undertaking.

David

At 06:43 AM 7/22/2015, Burr, Becky wrote:

>J. Beckwith Burr
>
>Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
>
>1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
>
>Office: +
>1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  /
><mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz>becky.burr at neustar.biz / www.neustar.biz

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music
http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications