[WP2] this is the document we'll use for our discussion of the IRP

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Wed Jul 22 14:16:56 UTC 2015

I think we are taking a big risk if we assume that whatever we decide
here, in this highly compressed timescale, will be right first time.
Instead, we need something simple initially, and the power to correct
ourselves later.

In the bylaws I think we should simply say that ICANN has a duty to
provide sufficient IRP panelists to implement the IRP and effectively
carry out its cases according to its rules of procedure.

And then we write the following self-modifying ruleset into the bylaws:

- the IRP to have the power to create its own rules of procedure subject
to the bylaws;

- the CCWG be empowered to propose "rules and programmes for the purpose
of ensuring that the IRP is a fair and accessible form of independent
review capable of holding ICANN to compliance with its bylaws for the
benefit of the community as a whole".

- any rules or programmes proposed by the CCWG shall only take effect
with the consent of the Board, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld

- rules of procedure adopted as a result of this process shall take
precedence over any rules of procedure developed by the IRP itself

- any rules developed as a result of this process shall, once adopted by
the Board, take effect as secondary bylaws of the corporation,  inferior
to the bylaws in terms of precedence in case of conflict with the
bylaws, but otherwise with the same effect as bylaws.

Examples of the "rules and programmes" we might later develop could
include rules for document disclosure in an IRP, principles for the
determination that a claim is vexatious or frivolous, rules for the
publication of decisions, and potentially programmes to subsidise the
bringing of an IRP case by impecunious parties with meritiorious claims.

Then we can leave how many people on an initial panel, how many on an
appeal panel, what principles are to be applied for giving leave to
appeal, and so forth later, to be dealt with as a WS2-type issue through
this power to create "rules and programmes" for the abovementioned purpose.

Regards,

Malcolm.