[WP2] IRP

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jul 23 04:47:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

some questions regarding Greg's revision.

> 1.    The Sole Member may submit a request for independent review of
> any decision or action by the Board that it asserts is inconsistent
> with the Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws.

Does this mean to also include that it is _only_ the the SM that has
this power to submit even if it is not a harmed party?

> a.    request assistance from skilled technical, business, diplomatic,
> regulatory and/or other experts;

Is it possible to include mention that it should be possible to include
experts in the matter or population under consideration.

> 1.    Prior to initiating a request for independent review, the
> complainant is urged to enter into a period of mediation or
> cooperative engagement, at the complainant’s choice, with ICANN for
> the purpose of resolving or narrowing the issues that are contemplated
> to be brought to the IRP. The mediation and cooperative engagement
> processes are published on ICANN.org and is incorporated into this
> Section 3 of Article IV of the Bylaws.

How does this combine with the requirement to file an IRP with 30 days
of a Board decsion.

> 1.    All matters discussed during the cooperative engagement and
> conciliation phases are to remain confidential and not subject to
> discovery or as evidence for any purpose within the IRP, and are
> without prejudice to either party.

Isn't this secrecy of the problems with the CEP.  Should this correspond
to prevailing ICANN standards of transparency?
(albeit acknowledging that these are another item that needs further
work, probably in WS2)

> The IRP Panel should strive to issue its written declaration no later
> than six months after the filing of the request for independent review.

Can we make this stronger requiring either a written decision no later
that 6 months or a report of tthe reasons for a delay including an
estimated schedule for completion.

Also the issue of prohibitive cost for entering IRP are not covered.  In
order fr the IRP to be accessible to all injured parties there needs to
be some way for the non millionaire appelants to have access.

thanks

avri