[WP2] IRP

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 05:27:47 UTC 2015

My quick thought on Avri's questions are inline below.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some questions regarding Greg's revision.
> >
> > 1.    The Sole Member may submit a request for independent review of
> > any decision or action by the Board that it asserts is inconsistent
> > with the Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws.
> >

> Does this mean to also include that it is _only_ the the SM that has
> this power to submit even if it is not a harmed party?

​GS: As drafted, this is the effect of the language.  If we want to give
that right to other parties or ICANN structures, we would need to add that.​

> > a.    request assistance from skilled technical, business, diplomatic,
> > regulatory and/or other experts;
> >

> Is it possible to include mention that it should be possible to include
> experts in the matter or population under consideration.

​GS: First, I note that the list includes "other" experts, so by definition
it is non-exhaustive.  That said, we could add "subject matter experts."
 Someone with experience in the specific matter under consideration sounds
more like a witness than an expert, but perhaps I'm not understanding.  I'm
not sure what an expert in the population means -- perhaps this is better
left to be dealt with as "other." ​

> > 1.    Prior to initiating a request for independent review, the
> > complainant is urged to enter into a period of mediation or
> > cooperative engagement, at the complainant’s choice, with ICANN for
> > the purpose of resolving or narrowing the issues that are contemplated
> > to be brought to the IRP. The mediation and cooperative engagement
> > processes are published on ICANN.org and is incorporated into this
> > Section 3 of Article IV of the Bylaws.
> >

> How does this combine with the requirement to file an IRP with 30 days
> of a Board decsion.

​GS: Good question.  I haven't studied the procedure carefully.  Does the
CEP (or mediation, if that is added) stay the 30-day clock?​

> > 1.    All matters discussed during the cooperative engagement and
> > conciliation phases are to remain confidential and not subject to
> > discovery or as evidence for any purpose within the IRP, and are
> > without prejudice to either party.
> >

> Isn't this secrecy of the problems with the CEP.  Should this correspond
> to prevailing ICANN standards of transparency?
> (albeit acknowledging that these are another item that needs further
> work, probably in WS2)

​GS: Also a good point.  This is probably a WS2 point.  i was only trying
to capture what was on the checklist in this draft, so I didn't touch this
part.​

> > The IRP Panel should strive to issue its written declaration no later
> > than six months after the filing of the request for independent review.
>
> Can we make this stronger requiring either a written decision no later
> that 6 months or a report of tthe reasons for a delay including an
> estimated schedule for completion.

​GS: Seems fair to me.​

> Also the issue of prohibitive cost for entering IRP are not covered.  In
> order fr the IRP to be accessible to all injured parties there needs to
> be some way for the non millionaire appelants to have access.

​GS: It wasn't clear to me how far the language in the checklist about
ICANN covering costs​

​was intended to go, so I didn't add anything along these lines.  If we
expect ICANN to underwrite legal costs for complainants in some or all
cases, that will need to be expressly stated.​