[WP2] slightly revised mission, commitments, core values for discussion later today

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jul 23 06:38:58 UTC 2015

hi,

I believe we can if we remember that GAC advice, which has a critical
role in informing the debate, is not determinative and that Board action
and IRP needs to be consistent with the bylaws.   While I agree that GAC
advice does not necessarily need to confine itself to the bylaws, it is
critical that the organization, at the end of the day, do so.

I must admit, however, that I have difficulty with seeing governments,
the duty bearers for rights, as actually having rights as governments.

In discussing the Tunis Agenda, and its claim to governmental rights in
TA 35a, it is important to remember that this was not a multistakeholder
document and that its designation of roles and responsibilities is still
a matter of much contention among other stakeholders - indeed a rather
lengthy debate that has continued since the uni-stakeholder adoption of
the Tunis Agenda.  It is also important to remember that this document
does not have the force of treaty.

thanks

avri