[WP2] IRP Checklist

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Fri Jul 24 23:13:56 UTC 2015

This is not an official position from ICANN, but rather some information that I have gained from being on staff and seeing some of the IRPs.

To date, the parties to the IRPs have essentially treated them as mediation; the panelists tend to be experienced professional arbitrators or retired jurists.  For the lawyers among this group, the selection is basically handled as in any other arbitration.  As a standing panel is developed, the ability to add additional areas of expertise to the mix could be one of the benefits, as well as the “on the job” training that would come from hearing multiple IRPs aboutt ICANN.

One of the issues that we have to keep in mind – and that we encountered as we started looking into the whole standing panel issue in 2012 – is that it’s not difficult to imagine that your more regular arbitrators may not be in a position to be in the “on call” status that we could find due to a slow down (or in the case of pre-new gTLD Program, just pure lack of numbers of IRPs) because of the timing of their “other” work (arbitrations, etc.).  We are going to have to carefully balance a reasonable retainer and rate that keeps the IRP accessible, while also attracting the right level and depth of panel members.  I see a risk in the alternative, which is creating the panel as some people’s full time jobs, particularly if we’re searching out a certain level of expertise, as that would likely price us out of many that we’d otherwise wish to serve.

(I know we’re in freeze right now, but…) If I have a vote on length of term, I’d say no longer than the length of term of a Board member, along with rights of renewal.  If we’re already concerned that a 3 year cycle for selection of board members is too long if the community is not happy with their appointees, then I don’t see that we should give more leeway to the panel that has the power to develop binding and precedential decisions over those same Board members.