[WP2] current state of IRP checklist plus sample bylaws language and the comment summary

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 18:16:22 UTC 2015

The issue of what happens to the IRP time period if the potential
Complainant requests a CEP is handled in the CEP rules and procedures,
found at https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/cep-11apr13-en.pdf:

If ICANN and the requestor have not agreed to a resolution of issues upon
the conclusion of the cooperative engagement process, or if issues remain
for a request for independent review, the requestor’s time to file a
request for independent review designated in the Bylaws shall be extended
for each day of the cooperative engagement process, but in no event, absent
mutual written agreement by the parties, shall the extension be for more
than fourteen (14) days.

The issue of "knowledge" (or "awareness") is often dealt with as Bruce
suggests -- by requiring either "actual knowledge" (when the complainant
actually knew) or "constructive knowledge" (when the complainant reasonably
should have known).  If either of these time periods expires, the
complainant can't bring an action.

Greg