[WP2] By law change on international law WAS Re: IRP provider appointment Was: updated documents from this morning

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Wed Jul 29 17:55:50 UTC 2015

+1 to Malcolm's comment on how much has been achieved.

I am sorry that I was not able to attend Paris, but may I ask a question
about the amendment including international conventions in:

1.In performing its Mission, ICANN must operate in a manner consistent
with its Bylaws for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole,
carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of
international law, international conventions, and applicable local law
and through open and transparent processes that enable competition and
open entry in Internet-related markets.  Specifically, ICANN’s action must:

Did the group consider the situation where two or more authoritarian
countries sign an international statement or convention recognizing that
the DNS in their countries can only be coordinated by their country
institutions or worse recognizing that it can only be done by
multilateral organizations etc.    Would this constitute an
"international convention" - a much less universal term than
"international law" - and hence would ICANN be bound by this bylaw to
recognize this?  Hence not be able to run a complete Root Zone in the
IANA, not be able to enter into registrar contracts for registrars in
those countries etc.

Paul

--
Dr Paul Twomey