[Wp4] Welcome to WP4

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Aug 11 11:32:38 UTC 2015

I think that, with a bit of discussion, Dr Lisse's words could easily
form the bedrock of laying out the territory for what is required by way
of accountability.

So ICANN should not become a forum for the worthy, but wide, human
rights agenda.

But it should, at its heart, embrace and respect fundamental rights of
all (including companies) when carrying out its work.

You see, the whole purpose of a multistakeholder body, is to carry out,
in an inclusive and transparent manner, certain tasks that in the last
centure, would have been expected to be carried out by public
authorities (i.e. Governments) within the boundaries of the nation-state.

Globalisation and the very nature of the Internet, inter alia, means
that for the co-ordination of the internet's sytsem of unique
identifiers, in particular, the old approach does not work very well.

But we must find a way, within this new model to avoid deletion or
dilution of existing human rights (whether by accident or design)
through the adoption of multistakeholderism.