[Wp4] Discrete issue: Which bylaws formulation

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Sun Oct 11 19:13:12 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,
hi all,
I already wrote a warning in the comments to a Google doc about a strong
opposition against commitment to the UN Guiding principles in the bylaw
+ stated my reasons (on the mailing list and in the comments to the Doc)
why I am against referring to the Ruggie principles in the bylaw language.
I am repeating myself, but again: I suggest to exclude the Principles
from bracketed text (with possible explanation in the text about the
poll + comments to the poll about Principles). Otherwise, if the Ruggie
Principles stay in the bylaw text proposal, I believe it is necessary to
provide an overview of the group discussion, including Paul's warning,
Business constituency public comment against such inclusion and other
comments, like the one I wrote about the fact that Principles are, in my
opinion, are not international human rights law instrument.
I hope those who are supporting the inclusion of the Principles into the
bylaw language can provide their detailed comments, too. Right now,
there is no explanation/justification in the Google doc concerning
support for the inclusion of the UN Principles except the rationale
"Principles appeared in the poll"  - I personally don't think it's
enough to add them into the proposed bylaw language. Especially because
we have WP members and public comments strongly opposing such inclusion.
Well, this is just my opinion. I don't think I have a personal capacity
to exclude anything from the Google doc without agreement between WP4
members.
Best regards
Tatiana