[Wp4] Fwd: WP4..first meet.

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:45:13 UTC 2015

Hi Greg
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Rudolph Daniel" <rudi.daniel at gmail.com>
Date: Sep 11, 2015 1:42 PM
Subject: WP4..first meet.
To: "NPC SVG" <npcsvg at gmail.com>

Hi Greg
General scoping questions/ thoughts.

1) In light of today's WG4 meet, I am wondering how "up to date" the
attached opinion (attachef pdf) is...as it relates to the task in hand.

Quote: "Currently, international human rights standards do not create
binding legal obligations on
U.S. corporations and state law fiduciary duty standards do not compel
corporate Boards of
Directors to act in furtherance of international human rights" end quote

2)
When I look at Ruggie, for example, I am asking myself, just what are we
hoping to achieve?

At the ICANN bylaws level, are we to look towards some kind of due
diligence or report process, ( annual review, which could be included in
annual report) by which to monitor or access human rights impact of the
corp. it's practices...on an ongoing basis..maybe functioning at the office
of  Ombudsman?

Or some word set which holds the corp. to a set of (values)? And how are
they to be monitored by whom?
RD