[Wp4] Fwd: WP4..first meet.

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Tue Sep 15 16:51:23 UTC 2015

Dear Rudolph,

On 09/11/2015 07:45 PM, Rudolph Daniel wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "Rudolph Daniel"
> <rudi.daniel at gmail.com <mailto:rudi.daniel at gmail.com>> Date: Sep
> 11, 2015 1:42 PM Subject: WP4..first meet. To: "NPC SVG"
> <npcsvg at gmail.com <mailto:npcsvg at gmail.com>> Cc:
>
> Hi Greg General scoping questions/ thoughts.
>
> 1) In light of today's WG4 meet, I am wondering how "up to date"
> the attached opinion (attachef pdf) is...as it relates to the task
> in hand.
>
> Quote: "Currently, international human rights standards do not
> create binding legal obligations on U.S. corporations and state law
> fiduciary duty standards do not compel corporate Boards of
> Directors to act in furtherance of international human rights" end
> quote

ICANN however has made an commitment to respect international law in
Article 4 of its Articles of Incorporation.

> 2) When I look at Ruggie, for example, I am asking myself, just
> what are we hoping to achieve?
>
> At the ICANN bylaws level, are we to look towards some kind of due
> diligence or report process, ( annual review, which could be
> included in annual report) by which to monitor or access human
> rights impact of the corp. it's practices...on an ongoing
> basis..maybe functioning at the office of  Ombudsman?

In the CCWP on ICANNs Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect
Human Rights (CCWP) we're currently working on two approaches: a human
rights impact assessment at the beginning of a PDP and a CSR report
which would also include a human rights impact assessment of ICANNs
operations and practices. We hope to present a concrete proposal for
this in Dublin.

Best,

Niels