[Ws2-diversity] Existing Gender and Regional Diversity Data at ICANN

Pam Little pam.little at zodiac-corp.com
Tue Dec 20 22:02:05 UTC 2016

While these additional data points are welcome, I would like to bring to this group’s attention the Final Report of the recent GSNO Review (https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-15-en).

Specifically, the reports:

·       cautions that geographic diversity is not a proxy for cultural diversity  (pp 11 and 114).

·       questions whether, from a cultural perspective, it is appropriate to include Australia and New Zealand as part of the Asia Pacific region (pp 115-116).

The report points out, as at July 2013, people from Asia made up 48% of total Internet users but only 4% of GNSO Council positions came from Asia ( p.116).

Page 114

9.4.1

Geographic Diversity

It is not possible to be definitive about the geographic diversity of the membership of the GNSO, firstly because ICANN does not collect comprehensive statistics on geographic (or gender and cultural) diversity of its community. It does collect geographic diversity information, but we consider the criterion to be flawed, since people can state their place of residence regardless of their ethnicity or actual affinity (for example, an Australian national living in Nigeria could choose to be recorded as a member from Africa). Secondly, Constituency and SG membership consists in many cases of organisations and/or individuals. Organisations may themselves be based in one region but consist of individuals from many. We believe, as explained further below, that CANN’s geographic regions are a poor measure of cultural or ethnic diversity.

Pages 115 & 116

9.4.2

Cultural Diversity

…

Under ICANN’s current definition, Asia Pacific includes Australia and New Zealand which are in general culturally more similar to North America and parts of Europe than to most Asian cultures. …

It is my understanding that ICANN’s current geographical regions are inconsistent with international norms. However, the ICANN Geographic Regions Review Working Group (see Final Report at http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-22jun13-en.htm) has not proposed any change to regional designation. As former ICANN CEO, Dr. Paul Twomey laments ( <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/wp3/2015-July/000015.html> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/wp3/2015-July/000015.html):

“There was no real discussion of the global strategic challenges facing ICANN in a world where Internet activity and power is shifting dramatically away from the hubs of the late 1990s which underlie ICANN's present structures.”