[Ws2-diversity] Existing Gender and Regional Diversity Data at ICANN

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 01:05:31 UTC 2016

Hi

A few observations about our last meeting and the regional perspective.

When considering diversity, regional groupings may not be the safest path
for representation of members. Indeed ICANN has a division in regions which
has its own issues and resulted from a collective work in a WG.

But if, for accountability purposes, one wants to map if members see ICANN
as somewhere where there is geographical/regional balance, the current
division may still not be enough since a member can not find her/himself
adequately represented either by their country or region. Same happens, for
instance, with ISOC chapters which are very atomized in some regions and in
others aren't.
Another issue is those groups are not represented by geopolitical borders
such as refugees, rural workers etc.

In the last meeting the idea of streamlining the data collection gained
some support.
Less open-ended questions and more concrete data, like a survey could bring
interesting results.
A simple question: "do you feel your region is well represented in ICANN?"
can result in a variation of answers which would be very interesting.

I welcome the efforts of the staff who has collected data before to send us
data and probably talk more about the process of data collection.
Also, data on special assistance requests could be very enlightening.

I understand there are many ideas popping and a need to have a say but I
guess now maybe we should really focus on the questionnaire rebuild for
next steps.

Until when can the questionnaire and the strawman receive comments?
Apologies if this was posted and I missed it.

Thank you

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Adebunmi AKINBO <akinbo.adebunmi at gmail.com