[Ws2-diversity] Draft 01 Diversity Report

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Wed Feb 15 14:19:16 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I apologize for not being able to make many of the calls, but congratulate
the group on the progress on the document.

I did post a comment on the Gdoc, about the following sentence :

“While acknowledging the importance of diversity in the accountability
mechanisms, members of WS2 have expressed their view that diversity
requirement should not prevail over skills or experience requirements.”

Lousewies was supporting the formulation, and I understand where she’s
coming from on that, but I personally have an issue with it : it implies
that there is a mutually exclusive choice to be made between skills on the
one side, diversity on the other. I do not share this view. I contend that
increased diversity would actually expand the diversity of skills within
ICANN.

What do other group members think about it ?

Whatever the outcome of this discussion, it would be useful to detail
exactly what kind of skills we want to look at in terms of skills diversity.
Is it legal / technical / market ? Others ?

Best

Mathieu