[Ws2-diversity] Draft 01 Diversity Report

avri doria avri at apc.org
Thu Feb 23 13:30:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

I think your understanding of quota differs from mine.  When the
majority do not include diversity, quota are often the only solution.
It by no means prevents those with the majority aspects from being included.

I live in the US and am used to such accusations, so they do not make me
uncomfortable.  They are not truth, though perhaps count as an alternate
truth.  Not sure.

I think this report does take a diverse region outlook and am surprised
you do not see that.

avri

On 23-Feb-17 07:56, Malcolm Hutty wrote:
> On 23/02/2017 12:37, avri doria wrote:
>> Is this really what you think?
>>
>> Sounds like the accusation we hear in the US all the time these days.
> It's certainly what I think of what you've said Avri. You've explicitly
> mentioned support in principle for "hard quotas", although you've
> stopped short of directly calling for that to be included in the report.
> Hard quotas for race and sex absolutely and unquestionably define
> certain people as ineligible because of their race or sex.
>
> You may find it uncomfortable for me to point this out, but that doesn't
> make it any less true.
>
> I'm less certain whether the group really stands behind your point of
> view, which is why I said what I said in the form of a question.
>
> I would greatly prefer that this report included a commitment to avoid
> discrimination on the grounds of race or sex (and not just to stop
> there). I would also wish that this report focused our attention on
> outreach to less represented regions. Both aspects would combine to
> fulfil an overarching principle that all should be welcome at ICANN, and
> that ICANN should take practical steps to assist those who would wish to
> participate, but find it less easy to do so.
>
> Since this report does not take that focus, I would like to know why. I
> would like to know whether it is because the group prefers to prioritise
> shifting group representation over assisting individual participation,
> and indeed over even-handed treatment for those individuals who do
> volunteer. If that is not the reason, I would like to know why else the
> two strands I mention have been omitted.
>
> Malcolm.

---