[Ws2-diversity] Last meeting and forthcoming important points

Ergys Ramaj ergys.ramaj at icann.org
Tue Jul 18 20:11:17 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I want to weigh in to provide some clarity on the issue of adding a gender diversity field in the registration form for ICANN60.

The collection of diversity-related data by the ICANN organization has been discussed extensively by this subgroup: how is the data collected, by whom, for what purpose, and whether it is streamlined across the different functions. When I last spoke to the group, one of the things we discussed is the need to follow best practice in this area.

Gender diversity is one of the core diversity elements identified by the subgroup. Currently, one's title is used as the basis for determining/assigning a gender category, i.e., Mr. or Ms./Mrs/Miss. It is important to note that ICANN only reports anonymized/aggregated data. However, best practice is to allow individual registrants to self-identify using more appropriate categories, such as, for example, male, female, other, do not wish to answer.

As soon as the registration opened, while still at ICANN59, we received a couple of comments from community members inquiring about the privacy of the data. Specifically, how is the data safeguarded? While these comments were prompted by the newly added gender field, the question is relevant for all other data.

In our responses, we made it clear that this is an initiative to streamline how we collect data and to follow best practice. We also noted that ICANN respects the protection and privacy of personal information, as outlined in its Privacy Policy. The only purpose for collecting gender-related data is to inform ongoing community discussions on this topic and, more broadly, how it relates to participation in ICANN. The recently issued Gender Diversity and Participation Survey is another example of how the ICANN organization is collecting information in order to inform the work of the community.

Shortly after these exchanges took place, we determined that the most appropriate course of action is to wait until the Diversity subgroup's report is final before we make any changes to the current registration form. All demographic registration data changes will be applied at that time. It is likely that new fields will be included in response to the findings/recommendations of the subgroup. In following this process, we would allow ample time to prepare for and implement the changes.

I hope this provides some context and clarity on this issue. I am happy to address any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Ergys