[Ws2-hr] Welcome and call planning

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Fri Jul 29 20:49:38 UTC 2016

Thank you Niels,

For anyone who is interested, there is a UN  International Human Rights Summit occurring in New York City  August 25-27.  The link for registration is here:

http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/news/youth-summits/13th-annual-yhri-summit-2016-registration.html

This is an activity of Youth for Human Rights but participants are certainly not limited to youth and this could be a good way to take steps to involve more youth in ICANN's future.   There are no registration fees for this conference.

Regarding the HR Issues Paper posted on the wiki, there is a section called "Relevant resources and publications" at the end of the paper.  As indicated on the CCWG- ACCT  list, I would like to add a link to the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples to this resources list.  The link is here:

http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/DRIPS_en.pdf

Selected provisions are pasted below for discussion in our subgroup.   SOI DISCLOSURE:  I represent the Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona.  Our firm represents the Navajo and other indigenous peoples.  However, we currently  have no instructions from these indigenous peoples in relation to ICANN activities.

Article 11

1.

Indigenous peoples have the right to practise and revitalize their

cultural traditions and customs. This includes the right to maintain,

protect and develop the past, present and future manifestations of

their cultures, such as archaeological and historical sites, artefacts,

designs, ceremonies, technologies and visual and performing arts

and literature.

2.

States shall provide redress through effective mechanisms, which

may include restitution, developed in conjunction with indigenous

peoples, with respect to their cultural, intellectual, religious and spiritual

property taken without their free, prior and informed consent

or in violation of their laws, traditions and customs.

Article 12

1.

Indigenous peoples have the right to manifest, practise, develop

and teach their spiritual and religious traditions, customs and ceremonies;

the right to maintain, protect, and have access in privacy

to their religious and cultural sites; the right to the use and control

of their ceremonial objects; and the right to the repatriation of their

human remains.

2.

States shall seek to enable the access and/or repatriation of ceremonial

objects and human remains in their possession through fair,

transparent and effective mechanisms developed in conjunction with

indigenous peoples concerned.

Article 13

1.

Indigenous peoples have the right to revitalize, use, develop and

transmit to future generations their histories, languages, oral tradi-

tions, philosophies, writing systems and literatures, and to designate

and retain their own names for communities, places and persons.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax