[Ws2-hr] Report to CCWG

Niels ten Oever lists at nielstenoever.net
Tue Oct 18 16:24:21 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well. Coming Friday is the deadline for me
to report to the CCWG Plenary on the progress of our Subgroup. I drafted
the text underneath. Your input is more than welcome before Friday, when
I will submit it to the CCWG co-chairs.

All your input is of course very much appreciated.

Best,

Niels

1. Executive Summary
The CCWG WS2 Human Rights Subgroup has documented the historical context
of the discussions on ICANNs human rights bylaw, which together with the
CCWG report (especially Annex 6 and 12) form it's scope of discussion,
with a Framework of Interpretation of the Human Rights Bylaw as intended
output. The subgroup is currently preparing a Framework of
Interpretation which in due time will be presented to the CCWG plenary
for discussion.

2. Description of the Issue
2.1 Current State of Play
The CCWG WS2 Human Rights Subgroup started of with providing an overview
of the discussions and agreements as they were made during CCWG
Workstream 1 [0]. Subsequently the Subgroup has analyzed the UN Guiding
Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs), and their relevance and
applicability for ICANN. While there was consensus that some principles
were relevant for the development for a Framework of Interpretation
(such as 13a and 15a), it was also recognized that the UNGPs have not
been designed with an organization like ICANN in mind. Therefore a
drafting team is currently iteratively designing a draft Framework of
Interpretation which is being discussed in weekly calls. It is expected,
that at this rate, the subgroup will be able to achieve the set milestones.

2.2 Supplemental Report
See [0]

3 Recommendation
3.1 Requirements for Recommendation
We haven't reached consensus on a recommendation yet.

3.2 Rationale for Recommendation
We haven't reached consensus on a recommendation yet.

[0]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rwpw9aSAqboRO2_rNkjMVJPOmYwmdr5B1_M_aNMoZb4/edit?usp=sharing

--
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9