[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

Niels ten Oever lists at nielstenoever.net
Mon Sep 5 03:58:57 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Great to see the discussion developing here. If I look at the questions
brought up by Farzane, structured by Paul (and confirmed by Tijani), I
see some overlap with the questions that were brought up in the draft
FoI we've been working on as Google Doc.

>>   *        What substance we see in the phrase human rights inside
>>     ICANN Mission?

For this question we had a preliminary answer, namely that we could
understand the following documents as 'Internationally recognized human
rights':

UDHR: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Language.aspx?LangID=eng
ICCPR: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CCPR.aspx
ICESCR: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CESCR.aspx
ICERD: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CERD.aspx
CEDAW: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CEDAW.aspx
CRPD: http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml
DRIPS:  http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/IPeoples/Pages/Declaration.aspx

This could help narrow down that part of the discussion.

When we look at the second question and clarification by John:

>>   *        When, if ever, ICANN should give that substance (whatever
>>     it may be) effect?

This might mean different things for:

- the ICANN community (SOs and ACs)
- ICANN the organization
- Contracted parties
- policy development process

It might helps us to differentiate or list what the different relevant
activities of these (or other) parts of the ICANN ecosystem and
understand what (potential) human rights impacts they might have?

Just a suggestions.

Best,

Niels

--
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9