[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Sep 4 18:48:07 UTC 2016

On Sep 4, 2016, at 2:12 PM, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn> wrote:
> I agree with Paul that among the main questions for us to come up with a Frame of Interpretation of the Human Rights in the ICANN mission would be:
>
>        What substance we see in the phrase human rights inside ICANN Mission?
>        When, if ever, ICANN should give that substance (whatever it may be) effect?

It might be useful to consider this question with regard to the specific roles
undertaken in the name “ICANN”…   For example,  I could understand having
the “ICANN community” provide due consideration in the policy development
process to any potential issue raised with regard to human rights implications
of a proposed policy; it’s less clear whether one wants “ICANN Global Domains
Division” or ICANN’s PTI” weighing human rights issues during the policy
implementation process.  It is fairly important to be clear about the desired
outcome of any framework, since application would have very different
implications when done with different portions of ICANN’s eclectic structure.

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.