[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

Niels ten Oever lists at nielstenoever.net
Mon Sep 5 22:38:06 UTC 2016

Respect is in the bylaw as well as Annex 6 of the CCWG report, so I
think we have consensus on it.

We still have to define 'respect' though. For this, this part of the
draft FoI document
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1emqmzyB9_0vm6oKxhIWZ47L7lxcFKUBHVnkBYUOsA2Q/edit
) might be helpful:
________

The responsibility to respect human rights requires that  business
enterprises:
(a) Avoid causing or contributing to adverse human rights impacts
through their own activities, and address such impacts when they occur;
(b) Seek to prevent or mitigate adverse human rights impacts that are
directly linked to their operations, products or services by their
business relationships, even if they have not contributed to those impacts.

The responsibility of business enterprises to respect human rights
applies to all enterprises regardless of their size, sector, operational
context, ownership and structure. Nevertheless, the scale and complexity
of the means through which enterprises meet that responsibility may vary
according to these factors and with the severity of the enterprise’s
adverse human rights impacts.

In order to meet their responsibility to respect human rights, business
enterprises should have in place policies and processes appropriate to
their size and circumstances, including:
(a) A policy commitment to meet their responsibility to respect human
rights;
(b) A human rights due diligence process to identify, prevent, mitigate
and account for how they address their impacts on human rights;
(c) Processes to enable the remediation of any adverse human rights
impacts they cause or to which they contribute.

_______

I think especially the first point (b) touches upon Farzi's question.

Happy to discuss.

Best,

Niels