[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Sep 6 01:11:40 UTC 2016

On Sep 5, 2016, at 6:38 PM, Niels ten Oever <lists at nielstenoever.net> wrote:
> b) Seek to prevent or mitigate adverse human rights impacts that are
> directly linked to their operations, products or services by their
> business relationships, even if they have not contributed to those impacts.

Interesting predicament.  If one imagines the potential for an update to one of
the IANA registries that in turn poses an impact to human rights – i.e. following
the specific guidance from the appropriate community that is contracting with
ICANN/PTI for IANA services would result in an HR impact, then the above
proposed responsibility (to prevent or mitigate...) would suggest that ICANN
should to do otherwise.

Note that the event of ICANN/PTI acting contrary to the clear direction of one of
the respective communities (names, numbers, protocols) with regard to IANA
registry updates could easily precipitate a crisis that results in the end of ICANN,
and thus should probably be avoided...

ICANN (including PTI) needs to place the highest priority upon fidelity to the
outcomes of the multi-stakeholder process, since its existence is predicated
(particularly in a post-NTIA contract environment) upon the presupposition
of the validity of that process.  This is also the reason why I noted that there
is a significant difference between application of HR principles within the multi-
stakeholder policy development process when compared to later on during the
policy implementation phases.

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.  Feel free to use, share, or discard as desired.