[Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda Call Sept 6 19:00 UTC

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Tue Sep 6 15:22:55 UTC 2016

Dear Niels

May I kindly request clarification on the status of our inquiry into the (legal) effects that the HR commitment we are talking about is a "core value"?

According to the new Bylaws "core values" are “guidance” (“should also guide the decisions and actions of ICANN…”) and are subject to a specific balancing and interpretation clause:

"(c) The Commitments and Core Values are intended to apply in the broadest

possible range of circumstances. The Commitments reflect ICANN’s

fundamental compact with the global Internet community and are intended to

apply consistently and comprehensively to ICANN’s activities. The specific

way in which Core Values are applied, individually and collectively, to any

given situation may depend on many factors that cannot be fully anticipated

or enumerated. Situations may arise in which perfect fidelity to all Core

Values simultaneously is not possible. Accordingly, in any situation where

one Core Value must be balanced with another, potentially competing Core

Value, the result of the balancing must serve a policy developed through the

bottom-up multistakeholder process or otherwise best serve ICANN’s Mission."

I feel this is quite relevant for our discussions, as it sets the frame of the effect of the new HR "core value".

Best and looking forward to your guidance and apologies if I have missed any relevant message on this issue

Jorge