[Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda for call September 20 1900 UTC

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:25:14 UTC 2016

I would like to highlight this quote from the Fifa Ruthie study as I think
there is some relevance to ICANN it's global reach and it's
multistakeholder governance model. Forgive me if it has already been
pointed to.

 As for any international  organisation today, this kind of global
footprint brings with it significant risks to people’s basic dignity and
welfare. And that reality demands a robust and proactive response. (ICANN)
is not solely responsible for solving these problems where the actions of
others are the primary cause. But it must use its influence to address
these human rights risks as determinedly as it does to pursue its
(multistakeholder governance) interests,” (of the global Internet)
() Added.
said Prof. Ruggie.

Lack of respect for human rights within the internet ecosystem, can
possibly be argued to have the potential to threaten the stability of the
global Internet. How that can be quantified, I not sure, but if you can
threaten the stability, then, again arguably, the internet can be exposed
to capture from diverse groups governments and otherwise.

Another principle which I think applies:

ICANN cannot be seen to be responsible for all human rights abuses by
organizations it works with, outside if it's role,  or any country for that
matter.
But ICANN should be responsible to the community for its own involvement
with such risks.
rd