[Ws2-hr] new text..... Suggested Text [renamed subject line]

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Wed Aug 9 18:47:18 UTC 2017

Thanks for the catches, Rudolph.

I think the singular ‘mechanism’ makes sense in that the reference is to UNGPs which here is meant to be reference a single body of work despite the plural-sounding name.

I like your suggestion regarding ‘where it seems appropriate.’ And thank you for the catch on ‘framework.’

My take on what my suggestion would look like in light of your comment is this:

3.1 When examining its operations, ICANN the organization could consider using a mechanism like the UNGPs as well as specific instruments such as HRIAs to assess its impact on Human Rights. It could also consider, where it deems appropriate, voluntary remediation efforts. However, it is up to ICANN the organization to decide whether to do so, and if so how (i.e., choosing the most appropriate mechanism, instrument, or remediation effort). The results of ICANN the organization's analysis should be reflected in ICANN’s annual reporting.

As for Anne’s comment on involving the SOs/ACs, I am unsure – I think this just refers to internal ICANN ops and SOs/ACs are dealt with elsewhere. But I welcome other views.

Best regards,

David

David McAuley

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154