[Ws2-hr] Outcomes of todays call

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Wed Aug 23 11:18:09 UTC 2017

Dear Niels,

Thanks for these clarifications.

The call for screen ticks you mention on the level of support to the “documents” subject to discussion is not clearly apparent from the raw capture and I have not seen it clearly on the "adobe replay" (please see on https://participate.icann.org/p3uljdb65qa/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal, which shows between 8 and 13 participants –besides you- during the call).

On minute 19:10 you asked the group whether they agreed with the process of going forward with the “minority statement” as a way for us to express our dissent – but this in my view is not a call for consensus on the documents for discussion as such. The discussion on this specific point continued another 10 minutes and on minute 28:50 you essentially asked the same question (“We are going to call this a finalized first reading of the documents we want to submit to the CCWG. Next week we are going to do the second reading. And in the meantime we are opening up for one week for minority statements to have them include in the submissions to the CCWG. Anyone got any issues with that?”) and there are a maximum of four green ticks during the replay – the other participants remaining silent and no one on the call opposing (to be fair).

Anyhow, that would amount to "support" during the call on the specific question of how to handle the dissenting positions assumed to be a “minority” one.

But IMHO this does not amount to "unanimous" support from the Subgroup, as I explained before. Therefore I would like to kindly request you to take that word out of the summary.

As to how you presented my alternative text to paragraph 5 of the draft message to the CCWG (" The group feels the current proposed wording is a minimum common denominator text between the different opinions held in the ICANN community.”, see in my Emails sent on August 16th to the list and sent again yesterday before the call) the "adobe call replay" shows that it was not mentioned and therefore not handled as an alternative.

In fact (minute 7:38 of the adobe replay) what was discussed was a reference to my "disclaimer" (see my message of August 16th: “[…] disclaimer be included in the document, stating that “these responses are not endorsed or supported by the representative of Switzerland who is member of this Subgroup” (the language can be improved, for sure”) – Actually you mentioned me but talked about the Brazilian Government not agreeing with the text [of the draft message to the CCWG I understand] – later at 9:19 you clarified that it was about the Swiss “disclaimer” not the Brazilian one.

Even this was only done after the text prepared by the "drafting team" had been gone through.

Hence, I’m very sorry to insist that even though I had proposed in writing some alternative text to be considered this was not properly considered and no discussion called on the different alternatives. As said, this lack of consideration is questionable. Normally when two or more alternatives have been presented the Rapporteur has to take a neutral approach and present the options to the Subgroup. This was not done.

To the contrary, apparently the acceptance of the documents by “consensus” was a foregone conclusion and simply assumed by you and some of the speakers during the call – the only discussion I see is on the treatment of the predefined “minority” opinion maintained by Thiago, Kavouss, Mark and myself…

Kind regards

Jorge