[Ws2-hr] Outcomes of todays call

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Thu Aug 24 19:02:02 UTC 2017

Dear Niels, Jorge, and members of the HR Subgroup,

First, thank you, Jorge, for the explanation of your position in the note below.

Since I have consistently on our calls favored not mentioning the UNGP in our report, it seems fair to explain myself on list as well.

I applaud the desire to bolster ICANN’s HR efforts with reference to the UNGP – after all the Ruggie Principles represent a principled attempt to get “businesses” to take positive HR steps.

My concern is that the UNGP are written for typical businesses and do not take account of ICANN’s unique mission – in fact strict application of the UNGP could undermine ICANN’s mission, in my opinion.

I have expressed several concerns along the way but here will just focus on one.

Under the UNGP, the responsibility to respect human rights requires that businesses, among other things, seek to mitigate adverse human rights impacts that are directly linked to their operations or services by their “business relationships,” even if they have not contributed to those impacts.

“Business relationships” is a very broad term in the UNGP - including relationships with business partners, entities in its value chain, and any other entity directly linked to its business operations, products or services. That must include registrants, among others.

And while the UNGP try to accommodate various complexities, they nonetheless provide that If the business enterprise has leverage to prevent or mitigate the adverse impact, it should exercise it.

It seems to me this aspect of the UNGP will inappropriately force ICANN into content issues outside its narrow mission.

We have to keep in mind that HR-based claims will almost inevitably wind up in front of our new IRP panel. These (at least) seven new panelists will be drawn from legal circles independent of ICANN. There is simply no way to envision how they would interpret reference to the UNGP and no guarantee that this new precedent-setting body might not try to stretch ICANN’s mission to accommodate the UNGP.

ICANN has just taken a significant step by explicitly adopting a core value aimed at respecting HR. In my opinion, there is no demonstrable need at present to make reference to the UNGP. If the community in the future discerns that such a need has subsequently arisen, then steps can be taken at that time to consider such a reference as appropriately tailored to take account of ICANN’s uniqueness. By that time, presumably, the IRP panel will have taken shape and have become a little more predictable than it is at the moment.

Best regards,

David

David McAuley

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154