[Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda February 21 19:00 UTC

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Tue Feb 21 17:35:17 UTC 2017

I agree all policy-making  is affected. I also think that if we do not note in the answer to Annex 12 questions that there will be a need for balancing of Human Rights themselves (in addition to balancing of Core Values), then we are acting like ostriches with our heads stuck in the ground.

Even the EU Court of Human Rights has to engage in a balancing act.  This is normal and appropriate.    There is in effect no real freedom of expression if rights of authors, artists, and indigenous peoples are not protected.

And there is no right to speak anonymously on the Internet, in particular if that speech is commercial speech that hurts consumers.

I would suggest we add this very important topic to the face-to-face discussion in Copenhagen.
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office