[Ws2-hr] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Scope of mandate on HR FOI

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Fri Jan 27 15:50:26 UTC 2017

Matt,

Let's ask ourselves: what is the reason that we have a dormant bylaw?

The reason is that there were concerns raised that it creates too much
of uncertainty with regard to how interpret it and what the consequences
are.

Now let's ask ourselves: does this FoI we drafted addresses the
concerns? Does it even address all the bullet points from the Annex 12?
Can you really honestly answer "yes"? And if it doesn't address all the
bullet points, can we seriously say that we considered all the points in
the group, had an open discussion and decided - one by one - which of
them are outside of our mandate and can't be addressed? We had some
broad discussion in the beginning, where many of the group members
raised different issues. We said - oh let us draft this text first, the
broad interpretation, and then we go to the particular issues. The
drafting on this text has been considered as a way to move on and then
answer different questions. There were many issues in two or three
documents we have in the beginning. I remember how they were "resolved"
- by just pressing the button "resolve the comment" in the google doc.
This was it.

While I am proud of what has been achieved by our small drafting team
and I think the text of FoI for the purpose of interpretation of the
bylaw *text* fulfills the task, I believe this was just one of the
tasks. I do not see how this FoI wakes the bylaw up, how it addresses
the primary concerns that were the reasons for making it dormant.

As to Annex 12 bullet points, as you said we touched them to a greater
or lesser degree. Which one are touched to a lesser degree? Was this
lesser degree enough really to elaborate on them? Have we discuss the
bullet points one by one?

No, I don't think we have to redraft what we have written, but we have
to revise it and add conclusions for other bullet points. If we are
tasked to develop only one document - which FoI - it has to address all
the points. And we we think they are irrelevant or have to be touched to
a lesser degree - we have to state it in the document.

Warm regards

Tanya