[Ws2-hr] [Ws2-jurisdiction] [CCWG-ACCT] Scope of mandate on HR FOI

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Jan 30 18:05:42 UTC 2017

Dear all,
Regarding the items listed by Greg, I do think it would be helpful to talk through these but I think it would unproductive to do so without putting the FOI itself out for public comment.  I strongly suggest we ask the plenary to put the draft FOI out for public comment and note in the public comment that we are asking for input in relation to certain of the bullet points that Greg has outlined.  (I copy the Chairs since I do not know whether there is any procedural barrier to such an approach and we want to do this in a way to complete work by May 2017.)

We are familiar with our own work and the reasoning and compromise behind it but we need a “check” on that work before we proceed with addressing suggestions for items listed in Greg’s bullet points.

So I think we should ask the plenary to put the FOI out for interim public comment in the following manner:

The CCWG-ACCT WS2 Human Rights subteam is soliciting public comment with respect to its draft Human Rights Framework of Interpretation.  Input from public comment will be considered by the subteam and will influence further work to be completed by the subteam no later than May 2017, including possible changes to the existing draft FOI.  Such further work will primarily address suggestions for how the HR FOI should be interpreted in relation to the following bullet points:
•         Consider the policies and frameworks, if any, that ICANN needs to develop or enhance in order to fulfill its commitment to respect Human Rights.
•         Consistent with ICANN’s existing processes and protocols, consider how these new frameworks should be discussed and drafted to ensure broad multistakeholder involvement in the process.
•         Consider what effect, if any, this Bylaw would have on ICANN’s consideration of advice given by the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC).
•         Consider how, if at all, this Bylaw will affect how ICANN’s operations are carried out.
•         Consider how the interpretation and implementation of this Bylaw will interact with existing and future ICANN policies and procedures.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax