[Ws2-hr] dissenting opinion - final-final text for CCWG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 03:07:21 UTC 2017

All,

With regard to the statement "However, the Subgroup did not undertake an
inclusive effort to determine if a compromise text could be formulated that
would accommodate this position of the three governments," I am still at a
loss to understand what was not "inclusive" about the efforts of the
Subgroup and in particular our Rapporteur, Niels ten Oever.

Since the reference to the last drafting team was removed, I assume it was
not the drafting team.  Since the drafting team did most of its work on the
main Subgroup list, was open to everybody (minor procedural flaws in the
call for volunteers aside), and the drafting team's suggested changes were
not even adopted, that seems like the right result.

In any event there were ample opportunities to contribute suggested
alternatives to the list -- the drafting team did not have a monopoly.

If the drafting team isn't the issue, then what was the issue?  The floor
and the email list were open at all times to all participants in the
Subgroup.  No one in the Subgroup was excluded.

The public comments were read, fully considered and extensively discussed.
There is no presumption that any particular public comment or comments will
result in a change to a draft Report. As such, while "Their expectation was
that a properly balanced result would reflect some if not all of the
positions and proposals made in their responses," there was no basis for
that expectation.

The consideration of public comments is too nuanced to reduce to simple
rules, but I have observed that public comments that do result in changes
tend to fall into the following categories: (1) suggestions that do not
change the substance, but improve the expression, (2) comments that bring
new facts to light, so that the basis of the recommendation is no longer
accurate, or (3) multiple diverse comments that persuasively show the group
that they got it wrong the first time and that they have missed the sense
of the multistakeholder community.  The comments in question, eloquent and
well stated though they may have been, did none of the above.

One category of public comment that has not been particularly effective, in
my experience, is a comment from a group participant (or related
participants) that seeks to accomplish a substantive change via comment
what was not accomplished in the group.  In part, this may be because it is
not a new voice or viewpoint for the Subgroup.  (Of course I understand
that the participants here were individuals while the comments came from
entities, but that is typical -- most participants do not file individual
comments.)

In any event, if the process was not the problem, what was the problem,
aside from disappointment in the result -- that what was a minority
position remained a minority position?

I note that the dissent, although advertised as concentrating on substance,
actually contains little substance, aside from the statement that "the
three Governments were in full agreement that the FOI text should make
stronger reference to the UN Guiding Principles as the most relevant
voluntary international standard."

What's missing is a statement identifying the portion of the Subgroup
report where the submitters did not join the consensus.  (I am assuming
that they are not dissenting from the whole of the document.)  What's also
missing is the actual "minority position" -- the text that the dissent
would have supported if it had been in the Report.  Without these elements,
the dissent regrettably reads more like a complaint than a minority report.

Finally, I would note that the formal predicate for including a minority
report is that it comes from the Subgroup participants who did not join the
group's consensus.  As such, it seems out of order to include any
submitters other than participants.  I suppose we are being a little more
relaxed, since this is merely CCWG business.  However, if the dissent
insists on including a minority report in the full CCWG report put out for
public comments, I hope that the process will be honored.

Best regards,

Greg

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 9:31 PM, McAuley, David via Ws2-hr <ws2-hr at icann.org