[Ws2-jurisdiction] Proposed Additional Question

avri doria avri at acm.org
Mon Dec 5 00:41:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

I support the question, with the change of

s/What do you think are the advantages or problems/What are the
advantages or disadvantages/

I think it is a necessary question.  It is not about moving jurisdiction
for that would be presupposing both a problem and a solution.  Something
we were told not do do, neither in the positive nor in the negative.

This is a solicitation for information that covers an area there is a
lot of speculation, both positive and negative about.

I think that if it is invalid to include question that elicits solution
like immunity, it is also wrong to prohibit questions for fear that they
will be used for some solution one does not like like; the impossible
change in jurisdiction.

avri

On 04-Dec-16 11:35, Paul Rosenzweig wrote:

> *_Fourth proposed formulation_*
>
> What do you think are the advantages or problems, if any, relating to
> ICANN being under U.S. jurisdiction and subject to U.S. and California
> law, particularly with regard to the actual operation of ICANN’s
> policies and accountability mechanisms?
>
> Please support your response with appropriate examples, references to
> specific laws, case studies, other studies, and analysis.  In
> particular, please indicate if there are current or past instances
> that highlight such advantages or problems.  Also, in terms of likely
> future risk, please mention specific ways in which U.S. or California
> laws safeguard or interfere with, or are likely to be used or
> interfere with, ICANN's ability to carry out its policies throughout
> the world.
>
> For any problem identified, please identify other jurisdictions, if
> any, where that problem would not occur.  For each such jurisdiction,
> please specify whether those jurisdictions would support the outcomes
> of CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 1, identify the future risks of
> those jurisdictions, and discuss the risks associated with changing
> jurisdictions.
>

> PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH YOUR COMMENTS AND FURTHER PROPOSED
> REVISIONS.  Thank you.

---